If you are like me and you love sweets but you don’t want to feel guilty about eating them then you’ll love these healthy banana chocolate chip muffins! They contain no refined sugar, are high in protein because I substituted a portion of the flour with protein powder and they are low in fat! These muffins are so moist and fluffy because of the Greek yogurt and bananas, also they are naturally sweetened with the honey. They are perfect if you are trying to watch what you’re eating but still want to sooth your craving for something sweet!
Feel free to freeze these muffins as well if you want to meal prep and have them ready to thaw and eat. Or if you want to make them last longer, since this recipe has all natural ingredients they tend to spoil faster than other muffin recipes!
- 1 and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of Vega plant-based protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas ( about 3 medium bananas)
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 plain Greek yogurt (nonfat)
- 1 tablespoon soy or almond milk
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (can be substituted with chopped nuts)
This is the protein smoothie powder that I used to add more protein to this recipe if you do not want to use protein powder in your recipe just add a 1/4 of extra whole wheat flour instead of the powder. I personally love chocolate so I chose a chocolate flavour but you can use whatever flavour you prefer!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 12 cup standard muffin tin or 24 cup mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. I prefer using a mini muffin tin because it makes portion control easier and is a simple small snack!
- In a medium sized bowl whisk dry ingredients: Flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- Next in a large bowl mash bananas, add honey, milk, Greek yogurt, oil, vanilla and egg. Mix until well combined and smooth. You can either whisk it by hand or use an electric mixer.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, don’t over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Fill the muffin tin with batter almost to the top. Bake until you can put a toothpick in the middle of the muffin and it comes out almost clean. It will take about 12-16 minutes for mini muffins and 20-25 for regular sized muffins.
- Cool for about 5 minutes in the tin before taking them out to fully cool or eat!
I hope everyone loves this recipe as much as I do! They are really addictive!